Interim Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Bernardo J. Dargan started his new position at Cal Poly Pomona Sept. 10.

(Courtesy of Bernardo J. Dargan)

Dargan was the assistant dean of graduate students and global engagement at Clemson University in South Carolina and has 20 years of experience in both K-12 and higher education administration.

He also has a master’s degree in student affairs administration from Michigan State University, a bachelor’s degree in music education from South Carolina State University and a Management and Leadership in Education certificate from Harvard University.  He is currently pursuing a doctorate of education in educational leadership from Maryville University in Missouri.

“I have worked on five college campuses over my career and students here are absolutely wonderful,” Dargan said. “I love the spirit of the students here … they care for their education and they want to be supportive and they want to be successful.”

He said his No. 1 goal is to ensure student safety, make sure students are engaged and are provided with enough co-curricular opportunities, which means supporting them in the academic and non-academic areas of their lives.

He will also be in charge of student hospitalization transportation and after-hour crisis issues.

Jackie Alexander, former colleague of Dargan’s at Clemson and director of student media at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, described him as a dynamic leader and wished him luck at CPP.

“He is always looking to challenge himself,” Alexander said. “ I wish it is everything that he hopes for and helps him continue to grow as a professional.”

As the fall semester continues, Dargan is devoting his efforts to providing leadership in student life, cultural centers, undocumented students services, Project Success and the Office of Student Conduct and Integrity.

Dargan is looking forward to making progress on these goals and is looking forward to continuing to work on campus.

“I am really excited to be here,” Dargan said. “This has been a great experience for me so far and I can’t say it enough that I’m really thankful that I’ve come to a space and a place where I feel welcomed, I feel like I’m at home … I am really appreciative of the fact that everyone has welcomed me with open arms and I’ve only had great experiences since I have been here.”

A national search for a permanent AVP/dean of students is underway for a spring 2019 appointment.

• Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

• name *

• email *

• website *

You May Also Like

College of Engineering hosts lecture series

By Guadalupe Pinedo The College of Engineering has been committed to providing students with ...

Red Folder an opportunity to help students

By Daniel Flores The Red Folder, an informational guide given to faculty and staff ...

Faculty and staff attend diversity workshop

By Jessica Wang Cal Poly Pomona faculty gathered for a talk by a prominent ...