By Soraya M. Coley
Welcome to the Bronco family and to the start of an exciting chapter in your academic journey.
Cal Poly Pomona is unlike any other university. Our polytechnic identity and learn-by-doing focus will allow you to experience the advantages of a hands-on education ” turning theory into practice, discovering knowledge and engaging with faculty, staff and peers to develop creative solutions and innovative ideas.
The fact that you have gained admission to Cal Poly Pomona means that you have demonstrated commendable academic achievement, and it is my expectation that you will continue to learn, grow and achieve success.
When you begin classes, you will discover additional opportunities for engagement with the campus, future employers and our surrounding communities.
As you begin this journey, let me share the Top 10 #ColeyTips for success.
1. Be confident. It’s natural to feel anxious about college. Know that our faculty and staff are invested in your success and that we are confident in your ability to achieve your personal and educational goals.
2. Be open to new possibilities, ideas and perspectives. College is a time of learning, exploration and discovery. So get out there and try something new, different and original.
3. Print a copy of your class schedule. Even if you have a smartphone, laptop or tablet, you never know when your batteries are going to die.
4. Don’t just join a club ” get involved. Clubs and organizations are excellent ways to meet new friends, learn more about your major and practice your management, interpersonal and leadership skills.
5. Be an active participant. Ask questions in class and talk with your professors during office hours. Find out how you can join a research team, collaborate on a co-curricular project or volunteer in the community.
6. Challenge yourself. The more you immerse yourself in college life, the more rewarding your experience will be.
7. Don’t procrastinate. Our 10-week quarter goes by faster than you think!
8. Ask for help. Don’t be shy; ask for assistance. Take full advantage of the support services available, including tutoring, counseling, wellness and academic advising.
9. Bring a reusable water bottle. We love the sun in Southern California, and it’s essential to stay hydrated. Fill up throughout the day at the free filtered water stations across campus and help us meet our sustainability goals by limiting the use of disposable plastic bottles.
10. Connect with us. Follow @calpolypomona on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
Again, welcome to Cal Poly Pomona! We look forward to seeing you on campus this fall.
President Soraya M. Coley
Show Comments (0)