By Czarina Obieta
In the 1940s, land that is now the Cal Poly Pomona land was turned over for World War II efforts.
Many of the students, who were all men at the time, were also enlisted as soldiers for war efforts.
Kellogg Ranch was turned over to the U.S. Army and soldiers were trained for horsemanship using the Arabian Horse.
An agriculture professor’s help was also enlisted, along with his family, to help maintain the farming on the Voorhis campus.
This decade was first time that the campus published its very own newspaper, Bronc’s Cheer.
In 1946, CPP also joined the California Collegiate Athletic Association.
At this time, the University of La Verne was considered the campus rival.
The following fall, the Voorhis campus reopened to the students, who at this point were mostly veterans.
The student body voted on the official school mascot in 1946 and it was established that Cal Poly Pomona teams are called Broncos.
1946 was the year that ownership of the campus was also officially transfered to the U.S Department of Agriculture.
It was decided that it would cost too much money to maintain the property if all the animals and things on campus were kept, so everything, including the Arabian Horses, were auctioned off.
Jerry Voorhis was won the auction and decided that the property could be kept and not sold off.
This decade was also the first time that the Cal Poly floats won an award. It was the award of merit for “Childhood Memories.”
This was the decade that the university also published its first newspaper publication, called the Bronc’s Cheer.
Michael Torres / The Poly Post
Show Comments (0)