The first music fraternity Kappa Kappa Psi (KKPsi) is now established at Cal Poly Pomona.

The fraternity is an honorary band fraternity dedicated to assist the director of bands and the music department by pursuing their motto “strive for the highest.”

Third-year food science student and general member CeeCee Cade takes pride in being an active member of KKPsi.

“I like having a sense of purpose in a department I’m not required to be involved in any type of way,” Cade said.

The Alpha chapter of KKPsi was first rooted at Oklahoma State University Nov. 27, 1919, and is now at CPP as of Nov. 18, 2017.

KKPsi’s mission statement from OSU is, “a fraternal organization that promotes the advancement of college and university bands through dedicated service and support to bands, comprehensive education, leadership opportunities and recognition for the benefit of its members and society.”

Kappa Kappa Psi is nationally recognized as the Nu Sigma chapter, and has 209 active chapters. (Christina Manuel | The Poly Post)

With 209 active chapters across the nation, KKPsi is now nationally recognized as the Nu Sigma chapter.

Professor Rickey Badua, director of bands at CPP, is the advisor for KKPsi.

Badua felt the need for CPP to establish a necessary service group for the music department to assist him with different programs of planning and setting up events, maintaining the music department and giving formal recognition to excelling student musicians.

“It was too much for one person,” Badua said.

“Over the summer I thought, what can I do to empower my band students to help me, to be positive, to be productive and to give them great leadership opportunities?.”

In late spring of 2015, Badua researched different music fraternities to consider establishing, and began planning the first steps with student leaders in the music department.

Following three pillars, KKPsi members strive to be independent student leaders, serve the music department and attain great musicianship.

Unlike most fraternities, KKPsi is not a social fraternity and is co-ed.

Active students of KKPsi do not have to be music majors or minors; the requirements to be considered for KKPsi is to participate in one of the band ensembles at CPP and to show great leadership skills alongside musicianship.

With the official KKPsi constitution in progress, the Nu Sigma members are paving the way for future generations to continue serving the music department.

Setting up the chapter at CPP, however, was not straightforward and simple for the founding student members.

Throughout the extensive process of following the steps listed in the official KKPsi handbook to become formal chapter, the group put a halt on all progress when the colony president stepped down over the summer of 2017, leaving the group to operate with no set structure.  

The future of establishing KKPsi at CPP was unclear for about a month until a special emergency meeting took place to elect a new president.

Sixth-year physics student Nicole Gage, was elected to fill the position and is now the current KKPsi president.

Gage said the process of establishing the colony as an official chapter took two years to complete, and a brother chapter at Fullerton Community College had advised them extensively along the way.

“It was a massive task for us, bringing a fraternity to any university is huge,” Gage said.  

Gage had taken over understanding it was she and the other founding members’ jobs to make up for lost time, and to continue pushing to fill the requirements in becoming a national chapter.

Comprised of seven e-board members and eight general members, KKPsi is now spending the first official quarter at CPP planning future events, and hosting recruitment socials to better the music department and expand their membership.

Now that the Nu Sigma chapter has been established, Gage hopes CPP students will consider participating in the fraternity.

The newly established Nu Sigma chapter hopes future generations will continue to work serving the music department.

• Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

• name *

• email *

• website *

You May Also Like

‘Trolls’ delivers colorful humor for all to enjoy

In an explosion of colors, fluffy hair and song and dance, the movie “Trolls” ...

Theatre production gives Shakespeare new life

By Angela Stevens In the “Taming of the Shrew,” a young woman named Kate ...

ISA marks traditional Hindu festival of lights

By Agnes Musee In celebration of Diwali, the Indian Student Association collaborated with the ...